In my previous post, I summarized some key takeaways from John Nicoletti’s Zero Moment of Truth presentation.
Part two of my Google Engage All-Stars Summit series highlights another great presentation. This time from Google’s head of mobile solutions, Grace Dolan. She gave the attendees some great insight on how mobile can be better utilized for search marketing. A great quote I made sure to remember from her opening statement – “mobile isn’t a conversion problem, it is a tracking problem”.
Here are a few quick stats about the importance of mobile Grace shared with us:
- 1 in 3 would rather give up television than being deprived of their smartphones.
- 43% of US adults say they’d be willing to give up beer for a month if it meant they could keep accessing internet on their phones.
- 53% of searchers purchase as a result of a smartphone search.
- 70% of smartphone users use their device while shopping in store.
- 71% of US smartphone users have searched after seeing an ad.
- Mobile advertising spending will reach $4.39 billion in 2015.
- Only 33% of advertisers have a mobile optimized website.
Staying with the devices theme, Allison Ember, head of display product solutions, provided some great data in terms of how people use multiple devices and how to optimize your PPC campaigns with the given information.
I’m going to keep the optimization tips a secret, but I got two very interesting stats from Allison – 1.) 65% of traffic STARTS on mobile then goes to another device. 2.) After 3:00, most people go to their mobile and tablet devices (think day-parting and optimizing for different devices).
Do you ever find yourself using your laptop while watching TV and using your smartphone at the same time? Well you’re not alone. According to Google’s research, over 90% of the US population does this.
Stay tuned for part three of the series that will highlight some non-speaker presentation notes from the All-Stars Summit!