You’ve hired an SEO company to help with marketing your website. You’ve provided the basic details and signed the contract. Now you can turn your attention to other matters and let the pros handle the optimization and marketing – right?
You can, and if the company you hired is any good, you will see positive results. But if you want to build the best campaign possible, you should instead think of it as a partnership. For an internet marketing campaign to truly succeed you need a hunger to be the best in your market, and be willing to work to make that happen.
Although the SEO firm you hired knows search engine optimization and internet marketing, you know your business. You are aware of what’s happening on a daily basis and you stay updated on your industry’s news. You know your customers. You’ve talked with them face-to-face and know what they want. Make no mistake about it, you can be a great asset to the campaign.
So what can you do to help your SEO firm help you?
Here are a few tips:
1. Provide your SEO company with as much information about your business and its customers as possible. Make sure they understand your customer value and unique selling propositions. Explain objections potential customers have had to using your products or services instead of your competitors so those objections can be countered in the website. You cannot provide too much information.
2. If business jargon, slang or buzzwords are used within your industry, make a list and share it with your SEO firm.
3. If the SEO team recommends specific page titles and copy revisions for your website, know these changes were recommended based on extensive research to provide you with the best on-page optimization possible. It is your website and you want it to reflect your business image, but try to work with them rather than simply refusing to make changes. Remember, you’ve hired them for their expertise. If your website didn’t need help, you wouldn’t have done so.
4. Search engines consider links to your website from other sites on the web when measuring your site’s importance. If your vendors, customers, friends and associates link to your site, you can bet your SEO company will be thrilled and your website will benefit.
5. If your business is planning to issue a press release, send it to your SEO team for optimization first. Your SEO firm may also want to periodically write and distribute press releases on your behalf, so if you have any company news you can share, let them know.
6. If you or someone within your business is interviewed by the media, mention your website and ask that they do so in the article.
7. Don’t expect instant results from organic SEO. Although results can be noticed much quicker today than in the past, an SEO campaign is an ongoing process that takes time. If you need immediate results, you will want a pay per click campaign, too.
8. And last _ but certainly not least _ care about your customers. If you want your business to grow, it’s a must! You might think that if 98 percent of your customers are happy with the products or services you provide, why worry about the other two percent. It’s simple. Transparency is more than a buzzword, and one unsatisfied customer can speak very loudly online. They can leave negative reviews about your business on numerous social media and review sites. They are the ones who make it a point to do so, much more often than the satisfied customers. Be aware of and care about any complaints made against your business. Address each one, at least with comments. Social media marketing can help you do so. Conduct your business as if the whole world were watching – because everyone is.
Have more tips to share? Disagree with those provided? Let’s hear it!