The need to build fresh, quality content for SEO is obvious – especially post Penguin/Panda. But when writing content frequently, whether for your business or clients’, coming up with new ideas – which at times may seem like the hardest part of writing – can be difficult.
What do you write about?
If you find yourself in that position, the following tips might help:
1. Consider the obvious. Is there any information about your business not already online? If so, write about it. Any company news? Tell it.
2. Think about your audience. What do they care about? What interests them? What would they find interesting? (If you haven’t created personas for your target audience, it helps to do so). What you write doesn’t always need to be about your specific business.
3. Look around you. What’s happening in the city/cities your business is located in? Anything your audience would be interested in?
4. Search Google news using keywords related to your industry. You may find ideas you can use to create your own unique content.
5. Interview people related to your industry. Interviews with employees make your business more personable to your audience. You could also interview top industry experts, vendors, customers – everyone has stories to tell.
6. Ask others. Find out what type of content would interest your audience by asking them, whether you do so through your business’ social media pages or an online survey. Also ask co-workers, friends and family for ideas.
7. Write down ideas when they come to you. Whether you keep the ideas in an electronic device (Notes app works great) in a journal or on sticky notes, write them down. Some of the best ideas will come when you aren’t trying to think of something to write. If you get into the habit of doing so, coming up with ideas for building content will be the easy part. Then you just need to get your ideas in writing.
Have tips for finding topics to write about? Share them in the comment box below!